Manual handling means more than just lifting or carrying something. The term ‘manual handling’ is used to describe a range of activities including lifting, lowering, pushing, pulling, carrying, moving, holding or restraining an object, animal or person.
It also covers activities which require the use of force or effort such as pulling a lever, or operating power tools.
Up to one third of all work injuries in Australia occur during manual handling. Most of the reported accidents involving manual handling tasks cause back injury although hands arms and feet are also vulnerable.
Sometimes the person injured never fully recovers or requires a long period of rehabilitation before they are able to work again.
This course will give participants a basic understanding of the factors necessary to ensure their own safety and that of the colleagues and the staff they supervise.
For more information, the objectives of the course are outlined below
- Recognise that a systematic approach can prevent or reduce manual handling injuries
- Skills & Knowledge to
- Identify risk factors in your workplace
- Control hazards
- Review Guidelines for correct: Lifting, Carrying, Pushing & Pulling, Seated posture movements
The course is based upon the principles of safe moving and handling of loads known as the neuromuscular approach to Manual Handling, and includes the following:
- How to Think & Assess
- Safety Procedures
- Avoiding Unnecessary Lifts
- Risk Assessment
- Practical Exercises
At the conclusion of the course delegates have an understanding of safe handling principles and possess the skills to avoid the dangers of careless and unskilled Manual Handling.
Other training courses offered by Australian Risk Services
- ICAM Lead Investigator Accredited 2 Day & 1 Day Basic
- Basic Hazard Identification
- Confined Spaces
- Contractor Management
- Dangerous Goods
- Environmental & ISO 14001
- Executive Briefing
- Fire Warden
- Fatigue Management
- Hazardous Substance Regulations
- Isolation For the Oil & Gas Industry
- Lock Out & isolation
- Manual Handling
- Plant Hazard Identification
- Risk Management
- Safety Committee
- AS4801 Auditing Training
- Supervisor Safety
- Working at Heights
- Workplace Hazard Identification, Risk Assessment & Control
- Working From Home